Attending ALA conferences is a great opportunity to explore the future of our industry, reconnect and meet fellow library workers, and work on professional development opportunities. It can also be an exhausting process of panels, people, and excitement. Here are a few tips and resources to help maintain your health and wellness while attending ALA Conferences.
1. Make sure to drink enough water. It’s easy to get dehydrated when you’re preoccupied with going from panel to panel or attending meetings, so make sure to bring a reusable bottle so you always have water on you.
2. Take time for meals, especially lunch. Maintaining a regular eating schedule can keep your energy up and help you fight off any illnesses that might get passed around with so many people in one space.
3. Get enough sleep. Conventions may be the only time you get to catch up with your colleagues from the other side of the country, but don’t sacrifice sleep for socializing. Sleep deprivation lowers your immune system and could lead to a post-convention illness.
4. Set goals you want to achieve at the convention before you arrive. Knowing your top priorities going into a convention can help you from overexerting yourself while you’re there.
5. Wear comfortable shoes. Your entire body will thank you for it after the convention is over.
While these tips are just the basics, taking care of your health and wellness is an important endeavor at any conference. Here are a few additional resources that can help you be at your best throughout the conference.