What Is a Candidate Achievement Record?
What Should My CAR Include?
Tutorial for Developing Your CAR
Submitting Certificates of Course Completion (CCC)
Submitting the Completed Portfolio
Developing Your Portfolio
Your Candidate Achievement Record (CAR) is your personal work area that you will use to store documents; attach the evidence that you have successfully completed an approved course with a form your course provider will provide; or upload artifacts you will use to create a portfolio. Each candidate will have his/her own CAR. No one else will be able to see your CAR until you decide to share it with someone else.
To receive the LSSC, all necessary documents (Certificates of Course Completion, portfolios, etc.) must be submitted through your CAR.
A four-year subscription to your CAR is included in the LSSC application fee. Even if you finish your course work before the four-year deadline, you will retain the full four-year subscription to your CAR.
You will add sections and documentation to the CAR throughout the certification process to demonstrate your achievements. You may also choose to pay a small fee to continue your subscription after you receive your certification, if you wish to use it to record your continuing career development.
The CAR will include:
An introductory section consisting of your resume and a copy of your lssc application.
An electronic version of the letter accepting you as a candidate.
A separate section for each of the six competency sets required for certification (three core competency sets and three elective sets). The competency sets may be completed in any order that works best for you. For each competency set, you need to provide either:
- Evidence of completion of an approved course, OR
- A portfolio.
If you choose to produce a portfolio for a competency set, your portfolio must cover all of the competencies in that competency set. Although you will probably be required to complete assignments in an approved course, once you complete the course satisfactorily, you do not have to develop a portfolio for that competency set.
Copies of the letters from ALA-APA lssc that document your achievement of each competency set.
Follow the eight steps below to create your CAR and begin work toward your LSSC!
- Login to your Candidate Achievement Record by typing the LiveText URL (livetext.com) into a web browser.*Note: Supported Internet Browsers:
- FireFox, version 1.0 or greater (preferred browser)
- Internet Explorer, version 6.0 or greater
- Safari, version 2.0 or greater (some formatting capabilities are limited)
- Type your username and password into the username and password fields. (PLEASE NOTE: Use the username and password you used in your application.)
- Once logged into the account, click on the Documents tab at the top of the screen.
- To create your CAR, select the New button from within the My Work tab.
- In the Folder drop-down menu, select “LSSC Program.” Please disregard the other choices.
- In the Template drop-down menu, select the specific competency set you wish to create a CAR for. ex. “Access Services”, “Adult Reader’s Advisory”, etc.
- In the Title field, name your CAR by typing your last name, first name and then the name of the competency set (no spaces; i.e. DoeJaneCAR). Select Save as New Document. This will open your CAR.
- Congratulations! You have created your first CAR. You will need to create an individual CAR for each competency set that you complete or plan on completing using this method.
On the left side of your CAR is the Table of Contents. The Table of Contents helps you navigate your CAR by listing all the CAR’s pages: Overview of LSSC; Approval Letters and Resume; Developing a Portfolio; Taking Approved Courses; Personal Learning Statement; and then all the competency sets with the PDS.
To select a page listed in the Table of Contents, click on the title of that page. Each page contains at least one section; to review a page’s sections, scroll down the page. You may also browse a page’s sections through the Table of Contents: click on the arrow to the right of the title of the page you’re interested in.
LSSC approves courses in the competency sets from providers of library education. You may choose to complete one of these courses, or complete a portfolio for a competency set. When you pass an approved course, you will receive from your provider an electronic copy of a Certificate of Course Completion (CCC).
Upload a CCC to a competency set page by following the three steps below:
- In “Documents”, click on and open the competency set CAR that you created using the method described above, select “If You Have Passed an LSSC Program Approved Course” option on the left side of the screen.
- Click on the Edit button, which is located to the right of each page.
- Follow the directions to add an attachment. When finished, click the Save & Finish button to view the document.
- Click “Submit for Review” once the CCC has been uploaded and saved to the correct CAR.
A portfolio is a way for you to demonstrate that you have achieved each individual competency in a competency set through your experience or through new learning such as an unapproved course or your own self-directed study. Remember, you may choose to complete competency sets using all approved courses, all portfolios, or a combination of both. (If you complete an approved course, view <the instructions above for submitting a Certificate of Course Completion (CCC).>)
- Select and review the Developing a Portfolio page for important information on how to demonstrate your achievement. Screen shot should match the competency set highlighted – technology is shown but communication is highlighted
- Review any competency set you are interested in developing a portfolio for. Each competency set is featured on a separate page; the pages are listed (with active links) in the table of contents. Each competency set page features several sections that will help you create your portfolio:
- Competency Set Overview – describes the nature and significance of the competency set. Attached to the Overview are two PDFs: the competency set itself, and Portfolio Development Suggestions for that competency set.
- If You Have Passed an LSSC Program Approved Course – where you will upload the Certificate of Course Completion.
- Using Portfolio Development Suggestions – explains the nature and purpose of PDS.
- Personal Learning Statement – instructions on describing how the chosen competency set 1) relates to your work and 2) summarizes your new learning and experiences. You do not have to write a Personal Learning Statement if you pass an approved course.
- Competencies – a description of each competency in a set. Each competency is followed by one or more portfolio development suggestion (PDS). If you develop a portfolio, refer to these examples of activities you might use to demonstrate your achievements for each competency or create your own. You will be uploading at least one document (file) as evidence of your proficiency, knowledge, and experience for each competency in a set.
To upload portfolio documents to a competency section, click the Edit button that corresponds with the desired section. The Edit button is located to the right of each section. Follow the directions to add an attachment. When finished, click the Save & Finish button to view the document.
Caution: Do not erase or type over the text in the box until you are ready to submit your portfolio for review. However, if you do, the portfolio development suggestions are also available in a PDF under the competency set overview. You may want to add your text below what is already in the competency set box. When you have completed your portfolio and it is ready for review, you can delete what is not relevant to the portfolio you are submitting.
Note: Once you begin working in a Text & Image section, an auto save feature automatically saves work every 30 seconds. Save more often by clicking the “Save Changes button.”
- Once you have uploaded documents (files) for each competency in a set and completed a Personal Learning Statement, click Send for Review.
- Type LSSCP_admin (you will see the name appear below the field in blue). Select LSSCP Certification Administrator <LSSCP_Admin>.
- Under “Selected Reviewer(s) it will read LSSCP Certification Administrator <LSSCP_Admin>.” Select Submit for Review.
- The message, “You have successfully sent this document to one user,” confirms that you have submitted your portfolio.
The reviewers will have XXX weeks/months to review your portfolio. Once your portfolio has been reviewed, staff from the LSSC Program office will contact you regarding the status of your portfolio review. There are three potential outcomes: 1) your portfolio will be approved, meaning no further work is needed; 2) you will be asked to provide additional documents (files) for particular competencies in your portfolio; or 3) evaluators may recommend that you complete a course. Once your portfolio is approved, you will be able to see comments from your evaluators.
LiveText Support Team
If further questions arise regarding the application, contact LiveText at:
Phone: 1-866-LiveText (1-866-548-3839)
Tech Support Hours
- Monday to Thursday 7:00am – 9:00pm (CT)
- Friday 7:00am – 6:00pm (CT)
- Sunday 2:00pm – 7:00pm (CT)
Extended Hours during End-of-Term Exams
- Monday to Thursday 7:00am – 9:00pm (CT)
- Friday 7:00am – 6:00pm (CT)
- Saturday and Sunday 1:00pm – 9:00pm (CT)
Quick Guide Help Link