The ALA-APA’s Library Support Staff Certification (LSSC) Program currently needs the help of librarians with an MLIS and at least five years’ experience in one of the areas of the LSSC competency sets, which are listed below.
LSSC began accepting candidates in January, 2010 and we are now beginning to see portfolios submitted. We need portfolio evaluators in all ten competency sets:
- Foundations of Library Service (Required)
- Communication and Teamwork (Required)
- Technology (Required)
- Access Services (Elective)
- Adult Readers’ Advisory (Elective)
- Cataloging and Classification (Elective)
- Collection Development (Elective)
- Reference and Information Services (Elective)
- Supervision and Management (Elective)
- Youth Services (Elective)
In order to become a portfolio evaluator, you need to have an MLIS and five years’ experience in the competency set you wish to evaluate. You will receive online training (about 1 hour) when you are assigned your first portfolio. If you are interested please apply to be a Portfolio Evaluator and send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. It might be helpful to read the competency sets before you apply to be an evaluator.
If you have questions, you can contact LSSC Project Director Nancy Bolt at 303 642 0338 or email@example.com.