Labor unions represent about 23 percent of librarians with similar levels of membership among library support staff. Library workers leverage union membership to negotiate collectively for better wages, hours, and working conditions. Union members in libraries also work through their union to elevate the library profession and secure working conditions that make it possible to provide professional service.
- How to start a union in your library
- Frequently Asked Questions by Professionals About Joining a Union
- Library Workers: Facts and Figures (includes union difference data)
- Library Worker News from the AFSCME Library Workers Page
- Union Library Workers Blog